Albion exit the FA Vase after dramatic tie

19 Sep 2020 in Match Reports

Albion exit the FA Vase after dramatic tie Albion exit the FA Vase after dramatic tie

Match report courtesy of the Ebac Northern Football League's Media Officer Mike Snowdon on his blog...

Ryton and Crawcrook 2 Ashington 4 – Buildbase FA Vase First Qualifying Round

For a very short time there was just the hint of upset in this game.

Despite some good performances, Ashington had lost four on the bounce.  Up against second division opposition in the Vase, the last thing they needed was to go behind, but concede a goal they did, and they were masters of their own misfortune.

Keeper Adam McHugh tried to dribble the ball round Ryton substitute striker Lee Richardson who managed to dispossess the No. 1, take it round him and a defender before bending the ball round a second defender and sending it into the net.

Fortunately for Colliers fans, the team was able to pick themselves up almost immediately – with Max Emerson equalising with a well-struck, low, hard shot from 20 yards out to restore their confidence.

Up until then Ryton had more than held their own, only two days since their last match.  They looked particularly dangerous down the right thanks to David Below and Harry Outterside who sent over several probing crosses.

Before the opening goal in the 36th minute, both sides could have taken the lead.  In the 8th minute Ashington’s Brandon Slater had a shot saved by keeper Josh Graham, with a follow-up shot by Dean Briggs blocked by Ryton captain Callum Turnbull.

Three minutes later McHugh pulled off the save of the match (and the best save I’ve seen so far this season), making a point blank save to deny an effort by Richardson.  The substitute couldn’t believe he hadn’t scored.  Briggs had another shot  cleared off the line by Gavin Dick in the 21st minute.  Dick also managed to get in the way of successive shots by Robert Taylor and Karl Ross only minutes after Ashington had equalised.

Ashington took more control of the game in the second half, peppering the Ryton box with shots and passes without being able to find a way through.  They finally broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute with a shot on the turn by Brandon Slater.  Team mate Ben Harmison should have added to the Colliers tally in the 75th minute but the No. 9 put his header wide after getting on the end of a Max Cowburn cross.  Ashington were the stronger team although the Ryton defence were proving a tough nut to crack.

The last seven minutes were the most dramatic of the match.  In the 83rd minute it looked as though there was no danger to the Ashington goal, but out of the blue Owen Brearton scored the goal of the game – hitting the ball on the turn and striking a looping shot that left McHugh unable to get back in time to stop it dropping into the net.

Any further Albion hopes of a comeback were soon dashed.

Two minutes after levelling the scores, Albion conceded a third – a Briggs shot slipped under the out-stretched hands of Graham and with only three minutes left Briggs hit a thundering shot that came back off the underside of the bar.  Harmison – only a few feet from the goal line – couldn’t miss and put the finishing touches to the tie.

Ashington progress to the next round where they meet Nelson in the second qualifying round on October 10.  The two teams also met in the Vase two seasons ago.

Mike Snowdon


RACA Starting XI: J Graham, Below, Joyeux, Turnbull, Shepherd, Dick, Outterside, Davis, Law, Gunn, Sherrard. (Subs: Stephenson, Richardson, Blewitt, Backhouse, R Graham, Brearton, Brooks.)

RACA Fans Man of the Match: Gavin Dick



Older Newer