Newcastle University



First Team

Sat 4 Jan 2020 | Northern League Div 2 | Away


Kimberley Park, Prudhoe




Scott Henry



Albion kicked off the new decade with a 3-1 win over neighbours Newcastle University to consolidate third place in the table. Goals from James Thompson, Callum Turnbull and Jamie Dunn ensured the double over the Uni having won by the same scoreline on the opening day of the season at Kingsley Park. 


Albion started the new year with the short trip to Prudhoe to face Newcastle University with new signing Martyn Hepple and long term absentee Liam Anderson on the bench as once again Tony Fawcett faced a shortage of available players being forced to also name himself as a substitute.

In breezy conditions, RACA soon got over the midweek loss of Jack Cooper to Newcastle Benfield when James Thompson scored after just 5 minutes following a penalty appeal in the University's box. The ball bounced out to the midfielder who calmly curled the ball past defenders & keeper alike to put Albion into an early lead. The advantage only lasted for eight minutes as The Royals were level following a good breakaway down the left by Lefteris Alambritis who found Timmy Browne in the centre who in turn laid the ball off to Noah Neill who slotted home to round off a fine move & restore parity. Ryton were soon on the hunt to get back in front and in the 15th minute, ans a timely intervention by Uni's Adam Redford to block Sam Norris' shot helped prevent that happening. Ryton got a great opportunity on 31 minutes to get their noses in front again when referee Scott Henry awarded a penalty to the visitors following a trip in the box. Callum Turnbull stepped up to continue his excellent strike rate from the spot giving keeper Shaun Backhouse no chance. A minute later and Ryton's Scott Jasper rode a tackle then fired across the home side's box but there was no-one in a yellow shirt to apply the finishing touch.


Following a first half where chances were few and far between, Thompson fired over the bar in the opening minute of the second half for Ryton. The University's first real chance after the interval was a free kick that Keith Douglas curled past the wall but it was an easy gather for RACA keeper Josh Graham. Thompson screwed a decent chance wide on the hour mark before Jamie Dunn lit up the match on 73 minutes after being set up by Thompson when he fired home a gem of a shot from 25 yards. Alambritis had a decent chance to pull a goal back on 75 minutes when a neat cross evaded the Ryton defence, but while he ended up in the back of the net, his headed effort cleared the bar. Jasper had a chance to wrap up the game in the 79th minute when he sped past his marker & lobbed the out-rushing Backhouse only to see his effort bounce off the top of the bar. The home side had half a chance to reduce the deficit in the 83rd minute but Joe Blanch could only find the arms of Graham who gathered comfortably & there was a last second scramble in the Ryton box but Mr Henry blew for time while the ball was still ricocheting off an assortment of legs and Albion had earned three valuable points in a workmanlike if not spectacular performance and made it ten points from the last twelve available.





Back to Fixtures